ss_blog_claim=8dcabb3175f064b32823a45ed345083b Majik's Thoughts: A Rare Question

1/30/2017

A Rare Question

"Excuse me, do you carry any typewriters?"  Was the question I found myself asking this past weekend.  I have been anxious to get back to writing, and I feel that sitting at a computer staring at a blank page in a word processor, lacks the real feel of a typewriter.  Writing with a word processor is still a good thing.  Definitely slightly more environmentally sound then lots of pieces of paper.  Fewer trees will die in the making of a novel.

Regardless of the benefits of a word processor, a typewriter is a good choice for a writer.  The story you are crafting feels more, real.  There is also the benefit of disconnecting from the online world and connecting more closely with the characters you build.  For me, I feel more of a connection with my characters, perhaps even grow to love who they become, with seeing the story as a hard copy.

I could just be a little old fashioned, or maybe it's just the nostalgia it gives me.  Remembering past tales spun on a toy typewriter I was gifted as a child.  I still prefer a good book to read instead of reading one on a screen.  The feel of the pages as you turn through scenes, discovering characters you grow fond of before the end.  Sometimes I am tempted to rip out the last page so the story doesn't have to end.  Well I guess I will have to make do with a word processor, save the nostalgia for another day, perhaps.

Image source: Public Domain Pictures

0 comments:

Post a Comment